Monday, January 7, 2013

Birth Story- Adalyn Jane

39 weeks, day of delivery December 31st 2012




After enduring 2 weeks of contractions we made it to the c-section delivery day. Feeling very anxious, I couldn't sleep the night before but woke up at 5am to be a my 8am scheduled c-section. Since I delivered at the same hospital Christian works at he was a little picky about who would be on the surgery team for my delivery. From anesthesia all the way down to the scrub tech. I knew I was in good hands with the assurance of Christian.



After three tries to get an IV put in my arm she finally got the sucker in! OUCH! One of our friends who is an OB resident, Steve Adams did a quick ultrasound to check the baby and do a final measurement. He guessed the baby was around 6lbz 9oz. Later we found out he was right on!

Next I walked my last pregnant walk down to the operating room where the anesthesiologist put in my spinal and prepped me for surgery. Since this was my 4th c-section I knew the drill but was still feeling nervous about everything. While we waited for the epidural to take effect they had to tilt me almost on my head to get the medication to spread and numb my lower body. Needless to say that was not comfortable!

Soon Dr. Dolan was quickly working to safely access my uterus. From 3 previous c-sections there was a ton of scar tissue and my bladder was scarred up to my uterus. My insides were not in the greatest shape. Doctor Dolan also said that my uterus was so thin she could see the baby's umbilical cord and baby from the outside...NOT GOOD! Soon enough our sweet baby girl was born at 
 8:51am weighing 6lbz 9oz 19 3/4 inches long.  

She was a little slow to cry and was not breathing very well. It didn't help that I was watching the Doctor working on her and could see the worry in the nurses eyes!!! Her heart rate was low as well, but she soon came around with some help from the Doctors. They cleaned and wrapped up my sweet angel girl so I could see her and kiss her! What an amazing moment when I can finally smell her and kiss her and meet that special spirit that has been living inside me for the past 9 months! The joy I felt not only because I wasn't pregnant anymore but that she was safe and perfect! A prefect little girl to bless our family forever.



Knowing that my insides were in pretty bad shape and it wouldn't be safe to have another baby I had my tubes tied. Having to make that kind of permanent decision was not easy but after my doctor saw my insides she advised me that my decision to have a tubal was very wise. Knowing that made me feel better about my decision as well.



Next baby and I are wheeled back to our room for recovery...but this was the worst recovery of my life! I didn't want any morphine because it makes me so sick and I didn't want to be throwing after I had my stomach cut open. But needless to say after throwing up anyway from the first pain med and the second pain med not working I opted for the morphine BUT still no relief. After suffering for about 12 hours the Doctors finally found a combination of meds that helped me relax and not be in as much pain. The saddest part of this whole painful mess was not being able to hold my baby because I was in so much pain.













Now feeling better I was happy to welcome the kids and they loved their new baby sister. After holding her and squishing her and petting her, they had to go home. Landon looked a little worried...I asked him what was wrong. He said that he didn't want to leave me and baby Adalyn at the hospital. He had to make sure we would come home soon. I assured him that we would come home in a couple of days.







Ready to go home but not liking her car seat...


After 3 days of "trying" to rest we packed up and headed home just as the kids were getting out of school. They were thrilled when they saw Adalyn and I home for good. Although Claire asks me every day if we can keep baby Adalyn.

When we finally decided what to name our new baby girl we had a hard time deciding how to spell it. After much deliberation and polling our friends and all the nurses we finally came up with Adalyn. Her middle name Jane is after Cherie's Mother, Patricia Jane. Also, my sister Sara's middle name is Jane. So Adalyn Jane is a beautiful addition to our family.









7 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats Congrats! I only wish we had more logical people like you when it comes to c-sections and tubals. I've seen too many "not good" situations in my career.

She is absolutely beautiful just like her momma! Hope all is going well with your little family!

Unknown said...

Congrats! What a beautiful baby just like her momma. I'm so grateful for logical people like yourself when it comes to repeat c-sections and tubals. I've seen too many unfortunate situations in my career that sometimes I wish people would just use their head!

Your family is so darling and I hope you are all doing well.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Congrats, Buddy & Jennilyn! Cutest crop of kiddos ever!

Julie said...

She is beautiful!!! You two sure do have 4 adorable little ones. Great to hear everything went well. Congrats! Love the pic of her in the car seat. She looks sooo tiny!

The Matthews Family said...

Aww I loved reading her birth story! I didn't realize, however, how tough it was for you! I asked Austin and all he would say is, "they are fine!" Men!!! : ) She is truly a gorgeous little girl! I'm pretty sure Makenna and I were both staring at you guys quite a bit during Sacrament Sunday. : ) I also wanted to let you know-- if you ever need a break and to rest, please bring Claire over here to play! I still don't have a car so I can't come get her, but we would love to have her just as long as you need! I promise-- I am ALWAYS home and would watch her ANYTIME and you could get some rest! Take me up on it! : )

Anonymous said...

I love your family and miss you all so much! You all look just as beautiful as ever and I can't wait to meet your newest addition one day. Congrats!!