Monday, May 5, 2008

Pella , Iowa Tulip Time Festival















Largest Tulips!!!













Cute little Dutch Girl!!!

Little Landon waiting for the Parade to start









































Marching Band wearing Dutch Clogs





In 1847, 800 Hollanders, under the leadership of Dominie Scholte, left the Netherlands for America. They settled down in Iowa and created a town named Pella. Pella means "City of Refuge". Dominie promised his wife to build a house like the one she left in Holland. He held true to his word and about 1 year later the house was ready. The structure had 22 rooms and there have been additions and deletions.

4 comments:

Debbi said...

seriously, that parade goes forever, doesn't it? I bet Landon loved it! I love the big winter coat and the huge shoes@

Megan and Shawn said...

Um the picture of Landon waiting for the parade scared me - its a little to far into the middle of the road! We had fun yesterday - thanks for the yummy cookies and salad!

{Erica} said...

That picture of landon is AWESOME and I love that brooklyn got to dress up.

We will miss the tullip festival when we leave here...

Kari said...

Looks like a great time! I think I'll tell Nate that we HAVE to go next year, it just looks so beautiful. Tulips are my favorite! We'd love to hang out again... I have to work saturday night though. Maybe next weekend?